Hook Arts Media seeks a General Manager
Founded in 1994, Hook Arts Media is a vibrant community-based, multi-disciplinary arts organization located on the beautiful Red Hook, Brooklyn waterfront. HAM currently runs year-round arts education programs at high-needs public high schools as well as onsite and offsite after-school and community programs for ages 12-24, serving upwards of 700 students annually. In addition, HAM produces the annual Red Hook Fest each June – a free outdoor performing arts festival that features world class artists as well performances by over 100 local youth – and pop-up performances in support of community initiatives.
For further information, visit www.hookarts.org
HAM is seeking a General Manager to join our team. This is a part-time, hybrid three day a week position with at least one day per week in person at HAM’s office in Red Hook, Brooklyn.
The General Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, HAM’s Business Management team, and Development consultant as well as other senior staff. The General Manager will play a large role in areas of Administration, Finance, Development, Human Resources, and other special projects. As a lead member of the staff, the General Manager will help ensure that the organization, programs, and operations all run smoothly, and will provide support to program staff.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Generate all employee and contractor contracts and review for accuracy, ensure they are fully executed with signatures by both parties, file and send to Business Management consultants.
- Schools: prepare school contracts, work with Director of Education to ensure that executed contracts, Work Orders, Purchase Orders are all filed and invoices sent.
- Handle annual liability insurance policy renewals, update policy as needed
- Track equipment and computer purchases, maintain spreadsheets and update as needed as items become lost, broken or obsolete
- Attend weekly staff meetings in person
- Supervise HAM Office Manager and Administrative Assistant
- Track, scan, file and send all bills, invoices, receipts for credit card purchases, and Petty Cash to Business Management Consultants
- Assist with development and maintenance of annual organizational budget and individual program budgets
- Assist with preparation of annual audit
- Track expenditures against program budgets
- Review and approve payroll in collaboration with other supervising staff
- Gather information for student stipend payments
- Handle payments to consultants and vendors including annual festival
- Prepare and assist with annual audit along with Business Management consultants
- Make payments as needed via Zelle
- Approve AP/AR per budget
- Make bank deposits and withdrawals
- Work with Business Management Consultants to create quarterly Finance Forecast
- Maintain development database
- Work with Development Consultant to file all grant reports
- Research potential funders
- Solicit corporate donations
- Send thank you letters to donors
- Attend weekly meetings w Development Consultant via Zoom
- File NYC Council appropriation requests
- Handle paperwork for government contracts and discretionary awards
- Assist with annual fundraising appeals
Human Resources 10%
- Updating and maintaining employee handbook
- Work with Business Manager to ensure HAM is in compliance with all nonprofit regulations
- Communicate all compliance matters to staff
- Schedule Board Meetings
- Work with Marketing and Department heads to share event calendar and request board representation quarterly
Special Projects 5%
- Supporting Executive Director, senior staff with special projects as needed based on prior experience and skill set. Attend special events to represent organization as needed.
Candidate must be highly organized, very detail oriented, have strong written and verbal communication skills. Must be proficient on Apple computers and have excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Google Suite, Adobe, and QuickBooks. Must have excellent interpersonal skills in particular with diverse staff, partners, and constituents.
Viable candidates will share HAM’s values pertaining to antiracist principles and possess knowledge of equity-centered work practices.
Strong preference for candidates with at least 5 years’ experience in nonprofit Management within the NYC cultural sector.
Education: BA or equivalent
Knowledge of arts education a plus
Must be based in NYC
Pay is commensurate with experience. Salary range is $40,000 to $47,500. One week in August and the week between Christmas and New Year off. Accrued other PTO and sick pay. Health benefits can be negotiated.
Position is available October 1, 2023.
To apply please email cover letter, and a resume with at least 3 references to email@example.com
Please attach your paperwork with your name in the file name i.e Jane Doe_Resume
About Hook Arts Media
Originally known as Dance Theatre Etcetera, DTE achieved national acclaim for making the arts a critical component of urban renewal as well as its recovery efforts in Red Hook, Brooklyn. As the organization evolved, DTE rebranded as Hook Arts Media. This new identity reflects its focus on creative learning for community change, incorporating 21st-century technology into its arts education programs.
Hook Arts Media’s in-school multidisciplinary media and arts programs primarily serve NYC transfer high schools. Its community programs focus on digital media and computer literacy, preparing young people with college and/or career readiness skills.
Stay in Touch
Never miss an update about other openings and opportunities at Hook Arts Media. Subscribe to our email list to stay in the know.