Digital Connections is Now Enrolling
Hook Arts Media is happy to announce that Digital Connections is currently accepting applications for the 2021-22 cohort. As a result of Hook Arts Media’s growing filmmaking programs, Digital Connections serves young filmmakers ready to enter NYC’s film industry. Following months of hands-on training, career coaching, and networking opportunities, Digital Connections Film Fellows will start their careers off strong!
Digital Connections is an intensive, multi-month program. Accepted applicants- or “Film Fellows”- will improve their filmmaking skills while building their portfolios and growing their professional networks. At the end of the program, Hook Arts Media will help them secure employment in the industry. Film Fellows can look forward to the following:
- Hands-on filmmaking skills training with professional equipment
- Software training with the Adobe Creative Suite
- Career mentorship
- Portfolio development, including resume, reels, and website
- Resources to produce a short film
- Support to find a paying position in the industry at the end of the program
With regular meetings in Red Hook, digital media teaching artist placements throughout Brooklyn, and site visits throughout the city, Hook Arts Media’s Digital Connections students will get an expansive introduction to the city’s filmmaking opportunities.
The 2021 Session begins August 2 and ends February 28, 2022. Film Fellows should expect to commit at least 15 hours each week.
All Digital Connections students will be paid $15/hr while participating in the program.
Film Fellows Alumni
The inaugural class of Digital Connections Film Fellows worked as media educators with Hook Arts Media partner schools throughout their fellowships. They produced 3 original short films and crewed on other film projects. Tristan Szabo Culbert’s capstone film, Orphism, was an official selection of the 2021 International New York Film Festival.
See our 2020 cohort’s films here!
- Be between 18-26 years of age when they apply.
- Younger applicants are encouraged to apply to our other film programs.
- Not be currently enrolled in a full-time program.
- Have some digital filmmaking experience.
- Must be willing to commit to the program from Summer 2021 to Spring of 2022.
As the Digital Connections program will take place largely in person at Hook Arts Media’s facility, applicants accepted into the program must be fully vaccinated by the start of the program and offer digital proof of their vaccine card. If an applicant needs accommodation for religious or medical reasons, please contact Executive Director Martha Bowers, Martha@hookarts.org to discuss.
How to Apply
Please review the application before submitting your application. In addition to background details, you will be asked to share links to at least 1 film project. You may provide links from Dropbox, YouTube, Vimeo, TikTok, Instagram, in addition to other popular platforms. If you would like to share other video projects, use the “notes” section. Additionally, you are expected to write a short essay. Please address the following questions:
- Why do you want to participate in this program? What do you aspire to do with more filmmaking experience?
- Do you have experience with film production? Please tell us about it, including any programs you’ve participated in. If you don’t have any experience, please let us know.
- What are your filmmaking strengths? How does your work stand out?
- What challenges do you face in your filmmaking? Where do you need the most support?
Applications are due August 1, 2021.
If you have any questions, email Media@HookArts.org